A catechism is a fancy word for a set of questions and answers about Bible doctrines. It is a simple, effective way to teach our children (and adults) the BIG truths of the gospel. Join us in 2024 as we jump into these questions and find out the truth that awaits us!
Week 7: February 19-25
Question 7: What does the law of God require? Personal, perfect, and perpetual obedience; that we love God with all our heart, soul, mind, and strength; and love our neighbor as ourselves. What God forbids should never be done and what God commands should always be done.
Matthew 22: 37-40
And [Jesus] said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment. And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments depend all the Law and the Prophets.”
For the Parent’s Heart:
- Our obedience to God does not win His love for us. It is exactly the opposite. He loved us first, and we respond in grateful, loving obedience to Him. (1 Jn 4:19, Jn. 14:15)
- How does your instruction for your children to obey your commands mirror God’s call for your obedience? How is it different?
- What can your family do to express love for your neighbors?
Ask Your Children:
- What is one way you can love God with your heart? With your soul? With your mind? With your strength?
- Do I love you more when you obey perfectly? Does God? Who is the only one who ever obeyed God perfectly? Why is that important?
- What can we do to show our neighbors that God loves them?
- Be sure to check out the playlists below or in the app for helpful songs that your family can listen to for help memorizing these questions and answers.
- How can you incorporate this question into your normal daily routine? Post it on a mirror in the bathroom, in the kitchen, or in the car where everyone can see it.
- Bedtime is a great opportunity to review this question and have discussions about it. If you have trouble remembering, set a reminder on your phone or ask your child to remind you to review this week’s question.
Find the Catechism
There are many ways for your family to keep up with New City Catechism throughout the year.