07 Feb The Fight of Your Life
Originally posted on November 27, 2003
Christ told us to love one another; however, he also told us to fight! The key is to know when to do which, and with whom.
We love people because people are not our enemy. We fight the evil influence of the devil because he is our enemy. Ephesians 6:10-18 tells us that as Christ’s followers, our struggle in this life is not really with the people of this world, but with “rulers, powers, world forces of this darkness, and spiritual forces of wickedness.” We are also told to “stand firm against the schemes of the devil.” So, fight the right enemy.
How do we fight an enemy we cannot see with physical eyes? We are told to take up a spiritual armor, supplied by God, and powerful enough to fight evil. Here it is.
1. Truth. Take up God’s truth like a belt, put it on, let it hold your life together.
2. Righteousness. By faith in Christ, you are made right with God. Then, you live your life in the righteous ways of God.
3. The Gospel. Like a good pair of shoes, put on the gospel so you will know you belong to God and will be able to stand against the doubts that come your way.
4. Faith. A stubborn belief in God and his word is a must for everyone who will fight the good fight.
5. Salvation. Only those who have been reconciled to God by faith in Jesus Christ can expect to be protected from the onslaught of evil that comes our way.
6. The word of God. Like a sword, the word of God cuts through the lies of the devil as he attempts to lead us astray.
Once the Christian’s armor is on, it must be used. We are called to engage in spiritual battle through prayer, which leads to obedience to Christ and the pushing back of darkness with light.
It’s a war out there, get in and fight!
Scott Patty, Pastor